If you’re heading to Japan and not sure where to stay in Tokyo, then look no further! Some of the best areas to stay in Tokyo also offer affordable hotels that welcome tourists. Book a hotel in Tokyo and discover nearby transportation to the city’s most popular attractions.
Tokyo Travel Guide: Where to Stay in Tokyo, Japan
If you’re lucky enough to be planning a trip to Tokyo, then you likely already know how amazing this city is. Huge, metropolitan, but still keeping true to its traditional roots, Tokyo is an fantastic city to explore, and with so many different areas to venture through, you’ll probably find that the only hard part about traveling to Tokyo is having to choose what to do. With a population of over 9 million, there are a lot of people in and around the Tokyo area and, for some, this may be a little overwhelming, but if you’re from a small area and not used to huge crowds, just take a breath and take it all in.
Tokyo has been the capital of Japan since 1869 and was formerly named Edo, but it has been a culturally significant area for hundreds of years. Tokyo also has the distinct honor of having the most Michelin stars out of any city in the world, which means you won’t have to go far to find fantastic food in Tokyo. From skyscrapers that touch the heavens to ancient temples, to modern clubs, and everything in between, Tokyo has something for everyone and once you find the perfect accommodations, you can get out and explore this wondrous city.
Tips for choosing a hotel in Tokyo
- If this is your first time in Tokyo, or even if it isn’t, staying near public transit options is going to save you a lot of time (and money). If you can, choose an area in Tokyo that is close to the Yamanote Line as this railway loop stops at basically all of Tokyo‘s major tourist sites, and makes traveling around the city a breeze.
- Tokyo has some really quirky and interesting choices for a hotel, in addition to regular style hotels with all the modern amenities that you’d expect. However, if you’ve never seen a capsule hotel before (where you sleep in a capsule pod), or never visited a theme hotel (some places have Hello Kitty themed rooms to stay in), it might be entertaining to consider a fun alternative to a traditional hotel.
- If you’re feeling traditional, consider staying at a ryokan which is a traditional inn that’s often run by a family, and is in the traditional Japanese style (you’ll likely be sleeping on a futon on tatami mats). A stay generally includes meals (often breakfast and dinner) and can be an interesting way to experience more of Japan’s culture.
- Choose a hotel that includes breakfast. If you are staying in Tokyo for more than a few days, eating out can add up – save some money by staying at a hotel that includes a continental breakfast (some offer both Japanese and Western meal options).
- Watch out for cigarette smoke! Even in non-smoking rooms, you may find that the smell of cigarettes lingers inside the rooms. If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, be sure to stay at an entirely smoke-free hotel.
Choosing Where to Stay in Tokyo
Tokyo is a massive city with lots of options for places to stay but you can narrow your choices down by picking an area that best fits the kind of vacation you plan on taking.
- Shinjuku area: With fantastic transportation options (Shinjuku is close to the Yamanote Line), a futuristic landscape with hulking skyscrapers, great shopping, lots of food, and tons of people, Shinjuku is also an amazing mix of ultra-modern and traditional – boasting iconic alleyways filled with restaurants, shops, and people that haven’t changed much through the years. Shinjuku is a great place to stay if this is your first time in Tokyo or if you enjoy having lots of options for entertainment, food, and shopping.
- Shibuya area: If you love shopping, nightlife options, and entertainment venues then the Shibuya area is perfect for you. Located nearby the Shinjuku area and also close to the Yamanote Line, this area is wonderfully situated and easy to navigate on transit. Get ready to get shopping as Shibuya is also home to trendy Japanese clothing boutiques. When you’re finished shopping, dress yourself up and head out on the town to one of the many karaoke bars or clubs in the area. If you like to have fun, and want to live a little, then Shibuya is a great choice for you!
- Roppongi area: If you’re looking for a flashy area where the rich and wealthy come to play (and many others), then the Roppongi area is for you. Featuring stunning nightlife options, high-class dining, world-class hotels, and lots of fun attractions, there’s a lot to enjoy about Roppongi. The only downside to staying in this area is that it is not connected to the Yamanote Line, so navigating to the major tourist sites outside of the area might be a challenge. But with plenty of shrines and temples, the Mori Art Museum, and an incredible number of nightlife options to choose from, you may just find that you spend more time in Roppongi than you thought you would!
Where to Stay in Tokyo | Shinjuku Area
Huge skyscrapers fill the skyline and give this area a futuristic look, and with great options for food, transit, and entertainment within walking distance, the Shinjuku area is a great place to stay if you like everything to be at your fingertips. If you are arriving from Narita Airport, the Narita Express train goes right to Shinjuku, so traveling to the area is easy. Another bonus for staying in the Shinjuku area is that it is a relatively inexpensive area, so if you’re looking to save some money on accommodations, start looking for hotels in this popular area.
With transit only a few meters away, free Wi-Fi in all rooms, air conditioning and currency exchange available in the building, this popular hotel is a great choice for any traveler to the Shinjuku area. This hotel’s exceptional cleanliness rating, excellent reviews, and reasonable nightly rates (from about $110 USD for a double occupancy) make the Nippon Seinenkan Hotel Tokyo a great choice your home away from home in Tokyo. The hotel’s address is 4-1 Kasumigaokamachi, Shinjuku-ku, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Nippon Seinenkan Hotel Tokyo
Transportation options near Nippon Seinenkan Hotel Tokyo
- Gaienmae Subway Station is only a 6-minute walk away.
- Aoyama 1 Chome Subway Station is only a 15-minute walk away.
The Tokyo Plaza Hotel is centrally located in Tokyo and offers a place where you can come back after a long day of exploring and simply relax. These accommodations include free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, airport transfer services, and are also located very close to public transportation. With nightly rates from $77 USD (double occupancy), the price is right for this hotel! Be sure to plan ahead for your trip as room rates can increase depending on the time of year that you are visiting Tokyo. The hotel’s address is 2-15-1 Hyakunin-cho, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Tokyo Plaza Hotel
Nearby transportation options for Tokyo Plaza Hotel
- Shin Okubo Train Station is only a 2-minute walk away.
- Seibu Shinjuku Train Station is only a 10-minute walk away.
Whether you’re in Tokyo for business or pleasure, the Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho popular choice with travelers of all kind. Close to great nightlife, shopping, and entertainment options, Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho is located near many great sites in the Shinjuku area, but that’s not all, the hotel also offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms, daily housekeeping, as well as humidifiers to help guests acclimatize to the area. The hotel also offers spa services, and a hot tub, so you’ll be able to relax after a long day. With great reviews and a reasonable prices, the Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho really does make for a super stay in Tokyo! The hotel’s address is 2-39-9 Kabukicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho
Transportation options near Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho
- Seibu Shinjuku Train Station is only a 5-minute walk away.
- Shin Okubo Train Station is only a 10-minute walk away.
Check In to Candeo Hotels Tokyo Roppongi, Step Out to Roppongi Hills
Where to Stay in Tokyo | Shibuya Area
If you love shopping, nightlife, and busy city landscapes, then the Shibuya area is a great fit for you. Though there are plenty of entertainment options in Shibuya, the area is also known as a hub for cultural sites including Imperial gardens, shrines, and Yoyogi Park. Shibuya is also close to the famous Harajuku district where the young and fashionable convene to show off. If you’re looking for an area that is a great mix of traditional, modern, and much more, then the Shibuya will make a great fit for your Tokyo adventure!
Located only a half a mile away from the city center, the Sakura Hotel Hatagaya has great reviews and reasonable prices for accommodations. With free Wi-Fi in all rooms and nearby public transit, in addition to air conditioning, and dining options (including halal food choices), the Sakura Hotel Hatagaya is ready to be your home base for your stay in your Tokyo. The hotel’s address is 1-32-3 Hatagaya Shibuya-Ku, Shibuya, Tokyo.
Attractions near Sakura Hotel Hatagaya
Transportation options near Sakura Hotel Hatagaya
- Yoyogi Uehara Train Station is only a 12-minute walk away.
- Nishi-Shinjuku-Gochome Station is only a short taxi ride away.
Upscale and ultra-modern, the Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel is the peak of luxury in Tokyo. Boasting amazing views of the Tokyo skyline, guests can enjoy the contemporary décor as they use the hotel’s great facilities, including an indoor swimming pool, a full gym, and also a jazz club. With five in-house restaurants, the Cerulean Tower Tokyo Hotel is ready to give you a dining experience like no other, whether you’re looking for Japanese cuisine, or beyond. With upscale amenities and plenty of ways to unwind located within the hotel, the Cerulean Tower Tokyo Hotel is just the place to splurge on during your stay in Tokyo. The hotel’s address is 26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Transportation options near Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
- Shibuya Train Station is only a 4-minute walk away.
- Naka Meguro Train Station is a short taxi ride away.
Recently renovated, the Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring is a popular choice both with individuals who are traveling for business or for pleasure. The Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring works to ensure that its guests experience the same relaxing atmosphere that they would within their own homes and offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, as well as non-smoking rooms, and air conditioning. The facilities at Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring include a spa where you can get massages and a sauna, which will help you to recuperate after either long days spent traveling or working. With reasonable prices and a great guest rating, you can’t go wrong with a stay in the Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring. The hotel’s address is 6-24-4 Jingu-Mae, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring
Transportation options near Dormy Inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae Hot Spring
Where to Stay in Tokyo | Roppongi Area
Trendy, cutting edge, posh – the Roppongi area is a great place to stay if you love shopping, fine dining, or partying. A good time can always be found in the Roppongi area! But Roppongi is good for more than just entertainment or living the high life, as the area also features beautiful shrines and temples, among other cultural sites, and is home to the National Art Center – so there is plenty of culture to enjoy in the Roppongi area as well. Whether you’re in the area to have a good time, or are there to enjoy the sites, Roppongi is a great place to make your home base.
With reasonable prices and excellent guest ratings, the Hotel Asia Center of Japan is waiting to be your home away from home during your visit to Tokyo. This hotel is popular with students and backpackers, but that doesn’t mean that it skimps on the amenities. With free Wi-Fi service, the Hotel Asia Center of Japan also offers guests a daily buffet-style breakfast, in addition to both Western and Japanese style food during the day, making this hotel a great value for your money. If you’re looking for a great, clean place to crash in Roppongi, then book a room at Hotel Asia Center of Japan. The hotel’s address is 8-10-32 Akasaka, Minato-Ku, Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Hotel Asia Center of Japan
Transportation options near Hotel Asia Center of Japan
- Nogizaka Train Station is only a 7-minute walk away.
- Aoyama 1 Chome Subway Station is only a 7-minute walk away.
Located close to the city center, remm Roppongi works to ensure that you have a relaxing, stress-free stay when you’re in the area. With 400 compact rooms to choose from, remm Roppongi offers a unique hotel experience. The hotel may be conservative with space, but it more than makes up for this with its great amenities, including free Wi-Fi in all guest rooms and public areas, a currency exchange, laundry service, and daily housekeeping. If you’re looking for a clean, affordable hotel in Roppongi, then consider a stay at remm Roppongi. The hotel’s address is 7-14-4 Roppongi, Minato-Ku, Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near remm Roppongi
Transportation options near remm Roppongi
- Roppongi Subway Station is only a 5-minute walk away.
- Nogizaka Train Station is only a 10-minute walk away.
The Grand Hyatt Tokyo is ideally situated right in the center of all the action in Roppongi, so you’ll be right where you need to be. Considered a “lifestyle destination hotel,” if you are looking for a world-class hotel experience, then the Grand Hyatt Tokyo is exactly where you need to stay. Boasting uniquely designed rooms and suites, ten restaurants and bars within the hotel, a spa that offers Japanese-themed services, and more, this hotel really is a piece of relaxation in a very busy city district. Though pricier than some of the hotels in the area, your experience and comfort will more than make up for the difference in price. The Grand Hyatt Tokyo is there to exceed your expectations during your visit to the area. The hotel’s address is 6-10-3 Roppongi, Minato-Ku, Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan.
Attractions near Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Transportation options near Grand Hyatt Tokyo
- Roppongi Subway Station is only a 6-minute walk away.
- Nogizaka Train Station is only a 12-minute walk away.